Best CPA Review Courses: Top 5 Comparison
Choosing the right review course is the single most important decision you will make in your CPA journey because you will practically be married to whichever one you choose for the next 9 to 18 months. Much like a divorce, if you decide to part ways with your newly wed spouse, it will be quite costly to your energy, time, and finances so it is crucial to get it right the first time.
So here’s the good news, I have personally tested, demoed, and used every major CPA review course on the market so you don’t have to! To get a more objective point of view, I interviewed over 100 CPA candidates currently using these courses and have incorporated their feedback into my rankings as well. These are the best CPA exam reviews on the market and will prepare you for CPA success much better than their competitors.
Download a free-trial below and demo the courses that look most appealing to you. If you find one that fits well with your particular learning style, then you’ve just taken a giant step towards Crushing the CPA exam!
|CPA Review Courses|
|What’s the X-Factor?||Bite-Sized Lessons||Best Student Support via Instructor Hotline||Most Interesting and Engaging Lectures||Most Multiple Choice Practice Questions||Best Teaching Style|
|Price||$1,800 – check for CRUSH Discount||$1,562 - with CRUSH Discount||$1,695 - check for CRUSH Discount||$891 - with CRUSH Discount||$1,422 - with CRUSH Discount|
|Video Lecture Hours||100||132||100||30||72|
|Course Formats||Online, CD-ROM, DVD, USB(+$150)||Online, CD-ROM, DVD, USB(+$99)||Online, USB(+$500)||Online||Online, Live Classes|
|Unlimited Access||Yes||12 Months||12 Months – 6 Month Extension $50/Section||18 Months||Yes|
|Final Review Crash Course||Yes||$225 – $295 Per Section||$225 – $295 Per Section||No||No|
|Read My Full Analysis||READ FULL REVIEW||READ FULL REVIEW||READ FULL REVIEW||READ FULL REVIEW||READ FULL REVIEW|
|Free Trial or Demo||14 DAY FREE TRIAL!||FREE DEMOS!||FREE DEMOS!||FREE DEMOS!||Let’s Go!|
Quick Links to CPA Course Overviews
- Bite-Sized Topics: Each section is broken down into small 30-45 minute sections which makes the CPA exam seem much less overwhelming. This is also great for anyone who has a full-time job or children and doesn’t have large chunks of time to study with.
- Lots of Multiple Choice Questions: With over 5,100 multiple choice questions and 6,200 true/false questions, you are able to get the repetition you need without worrying about seeing the same questions repeated over and over again.
- Unlimited Use: Once you buy their course it NEVER expires. This includes unlimited use of practice tests, videos, quizzes, and all other course materials.
- Support Lag Time: There is a message board where you can post your questions but their responses are not very timely. However, you can buy their “Professor Mentoring” service which will respond within 24 hours via email.
- Best For Independent Self Studiers: CPAexcel does not offer live classes and their student support is limited to a question board where it can take up to 24 hours to get a response. If you learn best from human interaction, or need one-on-one help, then this might not be the best fit.
Check out my full analysis and review of CPAexcel
- Best Customer Support: Yaeger’s Live Instructor Hotline provides responsive personal support that is superior to any other review course. This allows students to directly contact the instructors for help with any questions that arise while studying. Yaeger is famous for his promise, “Whether by phone or email – you can contact me and the other instructors personally almost anytime. “
- Easy To Follow Lectures: The lectures include step by step instructions to ensure that students are clear about the subject material. Instructors work hundreds of multiple choice questions with you and help you navigate through those tricky problems which give you the repetition needed to be successful.
- Unlimited Use of Materials: Four different course formats are available to choose from which include; DVD, USB, Online, and Mobile Device. You can download their course onto as many computers as you would like and their course materials NEVER expire.
- Old School Style of Lectures: Students with shorter attention spans may get bored by the traditional lecture videos. They are structured very much like most accounting classes you probably had in college and move a little slower than an independent self-study type of person might prefer.
Check out my full analysis and review of Yaeger CPA Review.
- Engaging Lectures: Roger Philip teaches each lecture with an incredibly high amount of energy. His unique teaching style makes the material much more interesting and helps students stay motivated. He is passionate about helping students pass the CPA exam and is very knowledgable on the material.
- Mnemonics and Memorization Tactics: Roger uses mnemonics and other memorization tools throughout his lectures which provide an easier way for students to remember many of the tedious details on the exam.
- New Generation CPA Review: Roger’s 2013 course has been given a facelift and includes many new useful features that streamline the learning experience. Please click the link below for all the details.
- Fast Paced Lectures: If you are an international student or prefer slower paced lectures you may want to consider a different course. However, many people agree that his fast paced teaching style does not allow your mind to get distracted or bored.
- Course Restrictions: The online course access is limited to a 12 month window, however, you can purchase an extra 6 months for $50 per section if needed.
Check out my full analysis and review of Roger CPA Review.
- Extensive Practice Tests: Gleim utilizes a variety of testing tools such as True/False quizzes, MCQ tests, Final Exam Reviews and Task Based Simulations to give you plenty of practice for the real deal. Their full review course includes over 11,000 multiple choice questions which is significantly more than any other CPA review course.
- Sexy Price: The most affordable review course on the market. All 4 sections can be purchased for less than $900 using the CRUSH discount!
- No Guided Review: The videos are audio-visual presentations, similar to powerpoint presentations, rather than a guided lecture where an instructor explains things in detail. If you are a good self-studier then this probably isn’t a big deal, however, if you prefer to be taught in a more formal lecture format you should check out some other options.
- Very Detailed Content: The books are detailed and use quite a bit of technical jargon. While some people prefer a course that’s highly comprehensive, others feel overwhelmed from information overload.
Check out my full analysis and review of Gleim CPA Review.
- Steve Martin’s Teaching Style: Steve has been in the CPA exam game for almost 30 years and it is obvious to see his experience in his easy to follow and engaging lectures. He focuses on helping students understand the most important concepts that are likely to be tested on and doesn’t get caught up on all the little stuff.
- Video Lectures: As he teaches there are digital slides of the textbook on the screen to help you follow along. He uses a variety of colors to highlight and underline the text as he talks about it which is great way to engage students in the topic he is covering and help them avoid outside distractions.
- Software Lacks Analytics: The homework software doesn’t have any analytic tools to point out the topics you score well on versus topics that you need to improve on. You are given a test score at the end of each practice exam but there are no other statistics or performance charts that break down your score into subsections.
- Less Lecture Hours: The total course consists of 72 lecture hours which is considerably less that the 100+ that most other review courses provide. This seems that the course might not be comprehensive enough, however, this is a strategy he has chosen in order to focus his lectures on the most relevant material rather than give his students “information overload”.
Check out my full analysis and review of MDS CPA Review.
Other CPA Exam Reviews
Although I do not recommend studying with the CPA exam courses below, I have reviewed them and wanted to let you decide for yourself. Click on one of them to learn more:
Becker CPA Review - More expensive does NOT mean better!
Wiley CPA Review - Good study materials to supplement with.
Kaplan CPA Review - This huge company sells prep courses for over 20 professional exams, it’s obvious the CPA exam is not a top priority for them.
Bisk CPA Review - It looks like this course hasn’t been updated for decades, literally.
NIU CPA Review - Not a bad option if you live in Northern Illinois, other than that I would keep searching.
CPA Review For Free – Excellent place to get some extra practice questions before your exam, for FREE! Using this as your primary study source will surely decrease your chances of CPA success.
Fast Forward Academy CPA Review – After demoing their course I decided against writing a review. The technology and software they have created are great, but the books they are using are very dull and do not teach the material very well. I’ve been told they are planning to update their textbooks, so when they do I’ll write a proper review, but until then I would look for a more well-rounded course
Black CPA Review – This course is very new and still needs to work out some of the kinks first (video lectures). Black’s software has some promising features that will definitely help students succeed on the CPA exam once it gets through this awkward learning stage.