One feature that gives the Becker CPA Review a lead over other courses is that it has the backing of the Big 4 accounting firms. However, it is also the most expensive option, which has the potential to intimidate prospective students.
If you select Becker, you have a choice of three study modes:
- Live classes
Live classes are a unique feature of Becker’s providing a personal experience with instructors who offer a wide array of perspectives on the ins and outs of being a CPA. It’s something that few prep courses offer, making it a terrific reason to give this course a shot.
While this is an enticing option for many students, many candidates prefer the Self-Study course as it allows them to learn at their own pace. Becker also provides the “Becker Promise” for all their courses which permits you to retake them if you don’t pass the CPA exam.
- Ideal Customer
- Final Recommendation
- Save $1,000 OFF the Becker CPA Review Bundle or $900 OFF Becker CPA’s Full Course
- Becker CPA Review Course Information
- Have you used Becker CPA Review? Leave a Review!
1. Study Materials
Becker provides excellent online notes and study materials. An outstanding feature of their course is that the answers to all practice questions are often linked to a relevant section in the online textbooks. This helps to explain complicated topics and saves time for the student as well.
You get access to over 6,000 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and about 300 task-based simulations (TBSs). If you spend enough time on these, you will have a far greater chance of passing the exam.
2. Mobile App
Becker’s mobile app is another feature you simply aren’t going to find in the average CPA study course!
You can switch seamlessly between studying on your computer and your mobile phone when enrolled in Becker’s online courses. They’re compatible with both Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android operating systems, so your phone model won’t be an issue.
It is possible to utilize the time that you are away from your desktop or laptop by studying in this way. Another benefit to this app is that you don’t have to waste precious minutes looking for the place at which you stopped studying on your computer; the mobile app takes you to this point automatically by synchronizing your account.
3. Flexible Study Format
The Becker CPA Review offers two exceptional features that allow you to plan your study schedule and make the most of the time that is available to you.
The interactive Study Planner provides a tool that lets you create a study program for yourself. You can learn at your own pace and keep track of your progress in this way.
The other useful feature that the course offers is the Study Roadmap, which tells you how much time you need to devote to each topic in order to stay on schedule.
Using the Study Planner and Study Roadmap intelligently can help you to put the entire course material into perspective and plan your time in the best possible manner.
4. Accelerated Study
Becker’s FastPass is an accelerated program that allows you to prepare for all four sections of the CPA exam in just 12 weeks. This program has several features that make it a good choice for those who want to complete their preparation for the exam in a comparatively short period.
If you select the FastPass option, you will receive all your course books as soon as you start the program. Additionally, you can get your Flashcards and Final Review materials before classes start.
Keep in mind, however, that you have to pay extra for the FastPass program.
If you think that you need additional practice, the Becker CPA Review course has add-ons that you can buy:
- Supplemental Multiple-Choice Questions: these are prepared by CPA prep experts; using them could help you study for certain sections of the exam that you find especially challenging. Supplemental MCQs are only available to current Becker students and can be purchased separately for AUD, FAR, REG, and BEC.
- Flashcards: there are over 1,300 available apart from the original course package. Regular use of these study tools can help you to memorize what you have learned. They are available in digital and printed formats.
- Final Review: this module consists of additional video lectures, MCQs, and TBSs. It is available in both Live and Self-Study packages and comes in four different versions covering different parts of the CPA exam.
Many of Becker’s instructors are highly qualified experts in their subject areas. Here is a brief overview of the top four:
- Angie Brown, CPA – Angie joined Becker back in 2000 as an instructor. She is currently the Director of Accounting Curriculum for Becker Professional Education and teaches classes for auditing, financial accounting, managerial accounting, finance, and economics. Angie has a B.S. in Accounting as well as a Masters of Accountancy degree from Brigham Young University.
- Michael Brown, CPA, CGMA, CMA – Mike holds a Bachelor of Science in Commerce degree and a Master of Science in Accounting degree from the University of Virginia. He started his career with Ernst & Young and has held several positions in the corporate world. He is currently the National Manager of Faculty & Distance Learning with Becker Professional Education.
- Timothy F. Gearty, CPA, MBA, JD – Tim is a partner in Gearty & McIntyre, LLP, CPA, a firm that provides business advisory services. He also serves as National Lead Instructor for Becker. Tim has been a keynote speaker for several Fortune 100 companies and is the Editor-in-Chief for Becker Professional Education.
- Peter Olinto, National Instructor, JD, CPA – Peter has worked as an auditor at Deloitte & Touche and as a tax attorney for Ernst & Young. He spent close to ten years teaching financial statement analysis, tax, accounting, and law at the graduate and undergraduate levels at Fordham’s business school. He is currently a National Lead Instructor for Becker Professional Education.
1. Live Classes
To be fair, many of the live classes provided by Becker are of the highest quality. The instructors are knowledgeable and articulate, and they know how to explain the most complicated topics in a simple and easy-to-understand manner.
Unfortunately, not all of the instructors offer the same level of quality!
A few of Becker’s live classes can be dull and boring based on the experiences of a few students. Some students were of the opinion that they would have been better off simply studying on their own instead of spending the additional time and money for a live course.
Fortunately, the online video lectures from Becker are of exceptional quality. This means that if you find live classes to be a waste or are unsure of enrolling in the ones provided by this company, you can use your time more productively by turning to their other study materials.
This is the big one. Overall, Becker CPA Review is a terrific option for accounting students. But the high quality of their course comes at a steep price; at $3,393 for all the four sections, Becker is among the most expensive review courses that you can buy. On top of this, you have to pay extra for the additional materials if you want to further enhance your study experience.
3. Audio Content
This is a polarizing feature that may only be an issue for a minority of students, but it’s worth mentioning regardless. An audio version of educational lectures can be a boon for those who are auditory learners or frequent commuters. An audio course could allow them to make the most of their downtime in order to effectively prepare for the exam.
Although Becker is still an excellent review course, the lack of an audio version could be a deal-breaker for some candidates. While there may be a work-around possible through their video content, it simply isn’t as convenient as a fully audio-based format.
This is one of the better CPA review courses on the market. It has been available for several decades and the years of experience shows in its study materials. For example, the physical textbooks and e-textbooks that Becker provides are extremely well-made.
The textbooks give you all the information that you need to prepare for the exam. In fact, in many instances they go into far more detail than is necessary. But, if you can absorb all this information, your chances of passing the exam will increase significantly.
The advantages that Becker offers go beyond the textbooks and lectures that it provides. It has several innovations to its credit that make studying for the CPA exam both entertaining and exciting.
Candidates enrolled in the Becker CPA Exam Review get access to Accounting for Empires, an interactive mobile game that can be played individually or in a group. You need to answer CPA exam questions correctly to build your empire.
Becker offers several other innovative study tools. The Study Planner and the Study Roadmap are two examples. The Adapt2U technology, which helps you to focus on the areas that you need to provide further attention to, is another.
If you are looking for a CPA review provider who goes beyond just providing textbooks and video lectures, then Becker is a good choice. However, students who can’t invest a great deal of money into their CPA studying may want to look elsewhere.
If you can afford it, Becker is one of the best options out there for a CPA student looking to achieve certification on their first try. There are many appealing features available to enrollees presented in a variety of formats, with even more content provided if the base package still isn’t enough. It really is the best way to ensure that you CRUSH the CPA exam!