01 Sep North Dakota CPA Exam & License Requirements
North Dakota requires 150 credit hours to earn a CPA license, however, you may sit for the CPA exam up to 6 months prior to fulfilling this requirement. The work experience requirements are pretty standard and require 1 year of public or non-public accounting verified by an active CPA licensee.
To be eligible to sit for the CPA exam students must first fulfill these qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum age: None
- U.S. Residency NOT Required
- State Residency NOT required
- Bachelor degree or above with accounting concentration
- 150 semester units from an accredited university
- 24 semester hours of accounting courses
- 24 hours of general business courses
*Special Note: You may sit for the exam prior to reaching 150 units but will need to complete your education within six months of your exam application date
North Dakota CPA License Requirements
- Same as above
- 1 year of public or non-public accounting experience verified by a licensed CPA
- CPA/CA holders from other countries may be able to get Chartered Accountant certificate. Please check directly with North Dakota Board of Accountancy for details.
- Passing of the AICPA ethics exam
- Cost of course is $149 or $119 for AICPA members
North Dakota CPA Exam Fees
The cost to take all four sections of the CPA exam in North Dakota is $743 plus the initial $120 application fee. The re-examination registration fee is $60.
|Auditing and Attestation (AUD)||$195.35|
|Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)||$176.25|
|Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)||$195.35|
**Important Note: You should not apply and pay for exam sections that will not be taken within six months because your Notice to Schedule (NTS) in North Dakota expires 6 months after issuance.
Additional CPA Requirements
- Pass all 4 sections of the CPA exam with a score of 75% or higher
- Complete verified accounting work experience
- Pass AICPA Ethics Exam
- Fill out and submit all required CPA license application paperwork
- Pay the CPA license application fee
ND Exam Information and Resources
For more details, please contact:
North Dakota State Board of Accountancy
2701 S. Columbia Road
Grand Forks, ND 58201-6029
Email: [email protected]
Now that you have started the CPA exam application process, your next step is to find a CPA Review Course that fits your budget, learning style and schedule.
It can take several weeks for your application to be processed so don’t waste that valuable time waiting to hear back from your state board. If you start studying now you will get a nice jump start on the material and will be better prepared to Pass your first CPA exam!