01 Jun Montana CPA Exam & License Requirements
Montana is a two-tier state which means they grant both a CPA certificate and a CPA license. A CPA certificate from Montana does not require working experience or a Social Security Number so if you are an international student or just looking for the CPA credentials this is a great way to get it.
To be eligible to sit for the CPA exam students must first fulfill these qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum age: None
- U.S. Residency NOT Required
- State Residency NOT required
- Accounting courses: 24 semester hours of upper-division or graduate courses with at least one course in each: financial accounting, auditing, taxation, management accounting
- 24 semester hours of general business subjects
*International candidates: The only foreign credential evaluation agency Montana accepts is FACS
MN CPA License Requirements
Montana is a two-tier state and offers both a certificate and a license.
- 4-year bachelor degree or equivalent with 150 credit hours
- Pass the CPA exam
- Pass the AICPA ethics exam
- Must have CPA certificate already
- 1 year of public accounting experience
- 2 years of non-public accounting experience
- Experience must be verified by an active CPA licensee
- Experience must take place in the five years prior to the date of the CPA license application
*Note: Montana does not accept credit earned through Chartered Accountants, Cost and Works Accountants, ICMAP, or similar organizations
Montana CPA Exam Fees
The cost to take all four sections of the CPA exam in Montana is $743 plus the initial $195 application fee. The re-examination registration fee varies depending on the number of sections you are signing up for.
|Auditing and Attestation (AUD)||$195.35|
|Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)||$176.25|
|Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)||$195.35|
**Important Note: You should not apply and pay for exam sections that will not be taken within six months because your Notice to Schedule (NTS) in Montana expires 6 months after issuance.
Additional CPA Requirements
- Get CPA certificate
- Pass all 4 sections of the CPA exam with a score of 75% or higher
- Complete verified accounting work experience
- Pass AICPA Ethics Exam
- Fill out and submit all required CPA license application paperwork
- Pay the CPA license application fee
MN Exam Information and Resources
For more details, please contact:
Now that you have started the CPA exam application process, your next step is to find a CPA review course that fits your budget, learning style and schedule.
It can take several weeks for your application to be processed so don’t waste that valuable time waiting to hear back from your state board. If you start studying now you will get a nice jump start on the material and will be better prepared to Pass your first CPA exam!