To be eligible to sit for the CPA exam students must first fulfill these qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum age: None
- U.S. Residency NOT Required
- State Residency NOT required
- Bachelor degree or above
- 150 semester units from an accredited university or educational institution
- Accounting courses: 24 semester units (at least 15 units in upper level/division)
- Business courses: 24 semester hours, which can include the following: Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Budgeting, Investments, Business Law, Statistics (Maximum of 6 undergraduate units), Banking, Finance, Management and Admin, Accounting courses in excess of the required 24 semester hours.
WA CPA License Requirements
- Same as above
- 1 year (2,000 hours) of public accounting work experience
- Work can be in accounting, attest, management advisory, financial advisory, tax ,tax advisory or consulting
- Experience must be verified by either a Washington CPA or any CPA who has had an active license for at least 5 years (Does not need to be your direct supervisor)
- Part-time and even volunteer work can be counted
- See Washington CPA Work Experience for more information
Washington CPA Exam Fees
The cost to take all four sections of the CPA exam in Washington is $743 plus the initial $155 application fee. The re-examination registration fee varies from $75 – $120 depending on the number of sections you are signing up for.
**Important Note: You should not apply and pay for exam sections that will not be taken within six months because your Notice to Schedule (NTS) in Washington expires 6 months after issuance.
Additional CPA License Requirements
- Pass all 4 sections of the CPA exam with a score of 75% or higher
- Complete verified accounting work experience
- Pass AICPA Ethics Exam
- Fill out and submit all required CPA license application paperwork
- Pay the CPA license application fee
Now that you have started the CPA exam application process, your next step is to find a CPA review course that fits your budget, learning style and schedule.
It can take several weeks for your application to be processed so don’t waste that valuable time waiting to hear back from your state board. If you start studying now you will get a nice jump start on the material and will be better prepared to pass your first CPA exam!
Becker CPA Review
- Endorsed by the Big 4
- Adapt 2U A.I. Technology
- Gameified Learning Options
Surgent CPA Review
- Pass 80% Faster. Exam ready in 58 hours!
- Adaptive Learning Technology
- Top New Product by Accounting Today