07 Jan New Jersey CPA Exam & License Requirements
New Jersey CPA candidates are allowed to sit for the exam with 120 credit hours, however, you will have to accumulate 150 credit hours to earn your CPA license. International candidates should note that a social security number is required for a New Jersey CPA license.
To be eligible to sit for the CPA exam students must first fulfill these qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum age: 18
- Social Security Number Required
- State Residency NOT Required
Candidates should fulfill at least 120 credit hours including:
- 60 semester hours selected from courses in English, history, foreign languages, mathematics, general psychology, philosophy, biological sciences, physical sciences, economics, sociology, religion, government, political science, geography, fine arts and music; and
- Minimum of 60 semester hours in professional courses including:
- Accounting including municipal and government accounting: 24 hours
- Business law: 6 hours
- Finance: 6 hours
- Economics: 6 hours
- Related business subjects: 18 hours
- Note: you will still need to complete what is required below (i.e. 150 credit hours ) to obtain the license.
NJ CPA License Requirements
150 credit hours plus ONE of the following:
- Automatically qualified
- 24 hours (undergrad level) or 15 hours (graduate level) of accounting
- An equivalent combination of undergrad/grad coursework can be done based upon a 3:2 ratio
- Should include financial accounting, auditing, taxation and management accounting
- 24 hours in accounting courses including financial accounting, auditing, taxation and management accounting
- 24 hours in business courses
- 30 hours in accounting courses including financial accounting, auditing, taxation and management accounting
- 24 hours in business courses
- 1 year of public accounting experience (equivalent to 1,750 hours within 2 years) supervised and verified by a licensed CPA in New Jersey
- Passing of the New Jersey Ethics Exam
New Jersey CPA Exam Fees
The cost to take all four sections of the CPA exam in New Jersey is $743 plus the initial $225 application fee. The re-examination application fees vary depending on the number of sections you are retaking.
|Auditing and Attestation (AUD)||$195.35|
|Business Environment and Concepts (BEC)||$176.25|
|Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR)||$195.35|
**Important Note: You should not apply and pay for exam sections that will not be taken within six months because your Notice to Schedule (NTS) in New Jersey expires 6 months after issuance.
Additional CPA Requirements
- Pass all 4 sections of the CPA exam with a score of 75% or higher
- Complete verified accounting work experience
- Pass the NJ Ethics exam
- Fill out and submit all required CPA license application paperwork
- Pay the CPA license application fee
NJ Exam Information and Resources
124 Halsey Street, 6th Floor
PO Box 45000
Newark, NJ 07101
Now that you have started the CPA exam application process, your next step is to find a CPA review course that fits your budget, learning style and schedule.
It can take several weeks for your application to be processed so don’t waste that valuable time waiting to hear back from your state board. If you start studying now you will get a nice jump start on the material and will be better prepared to pass your first CPA exam!