Taking the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam is next on your list, but you’ve heard it’s hard and you’re not sure where to start.
Why Take The PE Exam?
- Better pay!
- Stand out from the crowd.
- The ability to Sign and Seal Plans and Drawings
So What Exactly is a Professional Engineer (PE)?
- Earn a four-year degree in engineering from an accredited engineering program
- Pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Complete four years of progressive engineering experience under a PE, and
- Pass the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam
So what are you waiting for? Check out how to register for the PE Exam below!
Registering for the PE Exam
Based on your specific exam, you’ll take either a pencil and paper or a computer-based test. Paper and pencil tests are slowly being converted into computer-based tests, so make sure to check which format you’ll be taking based on your discipline.
PE Exam Cost
Pass Rates and Scoring
How is the PE Exam Scored?
Step 1: Create a PE Study Schedule
Step 2: Review for the PE Exam
Practice the Questions!
Manage Your Time
- They provide you with the right kind of exam-like study questions
- They show you how to solve them quickly and correctly
- They focus your study sessions by sticking to only what’s important to know
- They help you get your notes and references organized for test day
Step 3. Taking the PE Exam
You are allowed to bring an unlimited number of printed reference materials to the exam. References, including written notes, must be bound; no loose leaf paper is allowed. Check the NCEES website for specific rules regarding books, calculators, cell phones, computers, and security procedures, as these sometimes change.
Wait, Did You Say Open Book?
What’s Tested On the PE Exam?
Breadth and Depth
Most people choose an afternoon depth exam that is related to their work and area of expertise.
The depth exam is, not surprisingly, much more specific, with questions that go into much more specialized detail. All other PE exams besides civil or mechanical are in this category.
But What Exactly Should I Study?
The NCEES website lists the topics and roughly how many questions for each will appear on the various PE exams in its section of exam-specific information here. You can download the PDF files and print them out.